The Board of SSIS recognizes the large responsibility we have in hiring the next head of school. We will hire a person we believe is best equipped to deliver upon the SSIS Mission, and carry out the Strategic Plan.
In keeping with best practices outlined by the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), the decision to hire a new head of school will be made by the Board of Directors as a whole, supported by the advice and counsel of the Head Search Committee and with active input from all parts of our SSIS community, including faculty, administration, staff, parents, and students.
After careful consideration, the Board has chosen to retain Mr. John Magagna and Mr. John Ritter of Search Associates, an educational consulting and search firm with offices worldwide. The firm is well respected in the industry, and both Mr. Magagna and Mr. Ritter have long and distinguished careers working in and with international schools. Mr. Magagna and Mr. Ritter know SSIS very well, having worked with our School for many years.
A Head Search Committee has been appointed by the Board of Directors, and tasked with working with Mr. Magagna and Mr. Ritter, inviting and considering input from the SSIS community throughout the search process, and assessing qualifications of and interviewing prospective candidates.
Members were carefully selected to provide a diverse set of skills, backgrounds and perspectives. The following individuals serve on the Committee:
- Gayle Tsien, Chairman, School Board
- Wai Mun Fong, Associate Head of School, Finance and Operations
- Jacob Hendrickson, High School Principal
- Molly Burger, Middle School Principal
- Dan Keller, Elementary School Principal
- Tina Fossgreen, Curriculum Director
- Robert Kostrzeski, Director, University Guidance Office
The following timeline, developed in conjunction with our consultants, indicates the schedule we expect our search process to follow:
- Beginning in May: Recruit candidates based on criteria as determined by the Search Committee and Board; feedback from the School community; strategic goals articulated from the recent strategic planning workshop; recommendations from the recent WASC accreditation report; and discussions with the search consultants.
- June to September: Evaluation of candidates through semifinalist and finalist stages by Search Committee
- August/September: Finalists visit to SSIS for interviews with Search Committee. Candidates will also meet with groups of parents, staff and students, and become familiar with SSIS and its setting.
- End September/ Early October: Based on input from all parts of SSIS’ community, and recommendations of the Search Committee, the Head of School selection by the Board will be finalized and announced.
We look forward to keeping you well informed and involved as we go through the various stages of our search.
If you have questions, please direct them to the Search Committee through contacting Ms. Hien, administrative assistant to the Head Search Committee. Ms. Hien’s contact details are as follows: Email : email@example.com ; Tel: 08-5413-0901, Ext. 31070