The picture above is of grade 5 students experiencing their “launch” of their “super unit” at the beginning of this school year. I share this picture as we introduce the first Elementary Principal Coffee of this school year, which will be held September 8, 2015 from 8:15-9:15 in the Multi-Purpose Room of the High School Building C (same location as last year). The title of the presentation will be Frameworks, Super Units, and Beyond… This presentation is a full extension of the Curriculum Night presentation on Tuesday, August 18, 2015. During that evening, I shared a presentation entitled From Framework to Super Units: Understanding the exciting developments of the SSIS Elementary Curriculum. As I promised parents during that presentation, I am sharing the slideshow with you electronically (see the link below).
During the Principal Coffee presentation, we will be exploring the following topics:
- What is the Curriculum Framework?
- What are the implications for our taught, written, and assessed curriculum?
- What is a Super Unit?
- How do super units change the experience for my child?
- How do super units change the experience for me as a parent?
- What is the timeline for implementation?
- When will my child start to experience these improvements to their curriculum?
I look forward to seeing you at the coffee, where I hope you find our extended time together to be valuable.
Dan Keller, PhD