Parent-Teacher (-Student) Conferences are an important part of your child’s education at SSIS. This letter explains information related to purpose, schedule, appointments, registrations, student participation, translation, child care, and timeline.
The purposes of the Parent-Teacher (-Student) Conferences include:
- Review academic progress
- Discuss social and emotional growth and any behavioral concerns
- Set student goals
- Identify school and family supports that will help the child reach their goals
These conferences are scheduled for:
|Thursday 11 October 2018||1:30 – 6:55 pm|
|Friday 12 October 2018||8:00 am – 3:55 pm|
We have added the evening appointment times as a convenience for parents. Each appointment will last for 25 minutes.
Please register for an appointment for these conferences. The Parent – Teacher (- Student) Conferences booking system will be available from Monday, September 17, 9:00 AM to Friday, October 5, 9:00 PM. The registration system operates on a ‘first come-first served’ basis. Parents are advised to book early. If for some reason, you are unable to meet with your teacher during these available times, please contact your classroom teacher to see if some other arrangements may be made. We are expecting a conference to be scheduled for every student in the school.
In order to register for an appointment, you may find detailed directions at http://link.ssis.edu.vn/index.php?title=EC%2F%2FES_-_Parent_Teacher_Conferences. You may also follow the simplified steps below:
- Point your internet browser to the following location: http://events.ssis.edu.vn
- Login using your PowerSchool account: Use your PowerSchool username and password
- Click the Green Button “Book at…” to select a date to meet your children’s homeroom teacher
- Click “Change Appointment” to change the meeting date:
- Click “Send Confirmation Email To Your Inbox” to receive a confirmation email for your booking
- If you do not know your PowerSchool username and password, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Ms. Nghi at +84 8 541 3 0901 x 30201. To recover the password, please click here.
Older students are expected to participate in conferences. This participation allows them to contribute to the review of academic progress, reflect upon their social and emotional development, contribute toward the goal setting process, and describe school and family supports that may help them reach their goals. Only students in grades 3, 4 and 5 participate in the conferences.
If you need help with translation, please plan accordingly. Our teaching assistants are able to translate if the language is Vietnamese. Should you require a translator in a language other than Vietnamese, please bring one to the appointment.
As a courtesy to our SSIS parent community, our school will provide staff supervision of school-age children during conference appointments. Students in grades 3, 4 and 5 participate in conferences. However, younger students are not invited to participate in the conferences. For parents that need help with childcare of younger children, we will have staff supervision of the elementary playground area during conference times. If parents would like to use this service, please bring your child to the playground 10 minutes before the start of the conference. One of the SSIS teaching assistants will be on duty in the playground area to provide adult supervision. Please make sure to gather your child immediately after your conferences. This service is only made available to school-age children. We hope you appreciate this service and find it convenient as you attend conferences.
Below are some additional suggestions regarding how to make a successful conference.
We look forward to successful conferences with you.
Daniel J. Keller, PhD
Elementary School Principal
Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for October 11 and 12. For grades 3, 4 and 5, these are Parent-Student-Teacher 3-way conferences.
As you prepare for the Parent-Teacher Conference, please do the following:
- Before the conference:
- Discuss with your child what goals they may have for their continuous growth in school
- Write questions that the child may want discussed at the conference.
- Write questions that the parents may want discussed at the conference.
- Starting the conference:
- Arrive on time.
- Begin in a positive frame of mind; relax and be yourself.
- During the conference:
- Ask questions.
- Share information about your child.
- Raise any issues or concerns.
- Set goals for your child’s continuous growth at school.
- Take notes so you can remember what is discussed.
- Ask how you can support learning at home.
- Ending the conference:
- Review the goals set for your child and the supports that will be provided at home and at school
- End the meeting on time. There will be other parents meeting the teacher after you.
- After the conference
- Follow through on commitments made for home supports
- Follow up with teachers to ensure the school supports are being provided
Specialist teachers (Art, PE, Music, Drama, EAL, Learning Support, Library, Host Country Studies) will be available to meet with you before or after your conference with the homeroom teacher.