Now that we have completed Orientation Day and the first days of school, it is time to formally launch our curriculum. This year’s Curriculum Night is scheduled for Tuesday, August 18, 2015. As part of our “Parent Engagement” initiative, we are preparing for all parents & guardians to attend this important event. Please have your children stay at home for this adult-oriented event.
The agenda will include:
- “Five Core Subjects: Understanding your child’s homeroom curriculum”
- The learning environment: How we approach learning at SSIS
- The written curriculum: Overview of reading, writing, math, science, and social studies curriculum this year
- The taught curriculum: Main strategies used throughout the year
- The assessed curriculum: What to expect from assessments
- How to support your child at home: Homework, projects, and enrichment
- Parent engagement: Volunteering, communication, and special events throughout the year
- “Beyond the homeroom: Understanding our Comprehensive Curriculum”
- Meet your child’s teachers for specialists subjects, such as Drama, Library, Music, Physical Education (PE), and Visual Art
- Meet our Student Support Services Team: English as an Additional Language (EAL), Learning Support, and Psychologist
- Meet our Instructional Coaches: Literacy, Math/Science, and Technology
- “From Framework to Super Units: Understanding the exciting developments of the SSIS Elementary Curriculum”
- What is the SSIS Curriculum Framework?
- What is a “Super Unit”
- What is the timeline for implementation?
|Time||Grades EC, K, and 1||Grades 2, 3, 4 and 5|
|6:00 – 6:50||
|6:55 – 7:10||
|7:15 – 8:05||
I look forward to seeing each of you at Curriculum Night this Tuesday.
Dan Keller, PhD