Dear SSIS Parents –
As we have shared with you last week, we are conducting an exercise in Strategic Planning this weekend. Mr. Skip Kotkins, of the prestigious Carney, Sandoe and Associates in Boston, will be on campus soon. On Friday, 21 April 2017, and Saturday, 22 April 2017, he will hold focus group sessions with parents, teachers, and students about the direction of SSIS for the next three years.
We are asking our parents to make plans to attend one of the five parent sessions that are offered (all meetings will be held in the high school, Room C322):
Friday, 21 April 2017
08:45 – 09:00 Parent Session 1
10:30 – 11:45 Parent Session 2
11:15 – noon Parent Session 3
Saturday, 22 April 2017
09:00 – 09:45 Parent Session 4
09:45 – 10:30 Parent Session 5
Mr. Kotkins has already shared a questionnaire with our parents to help begin the discussion (you can still fill this out on line). He asked:
- What about SSIS must not change? (ie, What makes the school special? What are our values and key aspects of our culture? What programs are distinctive and excellent? etc.).
- What about SSIS should change? (ie. What new things we should undertake? What things we should do differently? etc.)
- What student outcomes do we want to produce, and how will we know if we have been successful? How should we measure how successful we are?
Your thoughts will help to shape the future of this school for your sons and daughters. From these focus group meetings will emerge a plan for SSIS in five main areas:
- What programs do we need to strengthen or introduce for our students? (e.g. more science and technology, engineering, public speaking, etc.?)
- What facilities to we need to improve or create so our students have the best learning environment for these programs?
- How do we make sure we recruit and retain the very best teachers?
- What steps to we need to take to make sure we are sustainable now and into the future (finance, leadership, structures, etc.)
- How do we best serve our SSIS community?
I hope that all of you will take time to participate in one of these sessions. I know how busy you all are, and I appreciate your help in making this the very best school for your students.
We will complete work on the outline of the plan this weekend and have scheduled a meeting after school on Monday, 24 April 2017, at 3:15 pm in the auditorium to share it with our community.
Mark Sylte, Head of School